In order inaugurate the festival week for San Rocco, which is being celebrated in Trapani in the end of August, on Monday 24 August 2026 the Prisente, that I had oroginally made for the procession in Gibellina, onto the facade of the Chiesa di San Rocco, which is also a museum. I was completely overwhelmed by seing how the whole story was being continued and evolved into the next chapter.
The Prisente shows an architectural
journey from Düsseldorf to Gibellina in Sicily, whereby I painted the different buildings and sewed them onto long piece fabric. In the middle of the Prisente you can see the patron saint of Gibellina, San Rocco, but it was important to me to paint the elegant wooden sculpture that is part of the Chiesa di San Rocco in Trapani, that Don Liborio Palmieri, the priest of the Chiesa di San Rocco, had shown me in March 2025. The whole story of course is much longer, full of details and references and encounters with the most lovely people and I must definitely write a book about it.
Many many thanks to artist Marco Papa, Giuseppe Morfino, Don Liborio Palmieri and Don Bernardo for helping me in so many different ways. Even if I sewed the Prisente on my own, mainly in Düsseldorf, without them the whole artistic adventure in Sicily would never have been possible.